Some recent emails ...
I can't say enough how much I appreciate you making these mouthpieces for me. Best decision I've made in a long time.
Every mouthpiece you have made for me is outstanding.
Your Attention to detail and skill are second to none.
Can not wait to play them on the gig.
Hey Ron. Got the 110B and it rocks! What a dynamic range and I think it's got just the right amount of edge and body, fantastic tenor mouthpiece!
"it's so much fun to play this piece, and I have to say it is the sweetest sound I have ever heard come out of my horn in the 50
years I've owned it."
"I'm sure this is the best birthday gift that I could buy myself or get from
someone else. Ever !"
"I have thought of a thousand things to say about this piece of work
but the words just can't say enough of how great it is."
Each mouthpiece is played and fine tuned by master mouthpiece maker Ron Coelho.
It does not leave my shop until I think it is perfect!
Sound is not the easiest thing to describe, my priorities for saxophone sound in order of importance are as
- BEAUTIFUL :: The saxophone is one of the most beautiful instruments there is,
the sound should be big and rich and beautiful.
- DYNAMIC RANGE :: It should be easy to play up and down the horn, soft to loud.
- EDGE :: Everyone has different tastes and perceptions, but some edge on top of
the sound is desirable. Each mouthpiece is extensively play tested and the facing curve adjusted until it meets exacting musical
Each mouthpiece must pass the following tests!
- The mouthpiece must respond with the slightest amount of air and support from
- It must play evenly from top to bottom, meaning, adjacent notes must center in
the same way.
- At medium volumes it must have a round and pleasing sound.
- Most importantly for a Jazz mouthpiece, at more extreme volume levels the
sound has to hold together and develop some real power!